Sunday, April 26, 2015

Friday with Kim

I have taken more classes in 2015 than I have in a while.

I like classes - both taking them and teaching them -- because either way I always learn something new about people and quilting.  And then there's the additional plus of being with other quilters.  That is always awesome.

Last Friday Linda, Shelle, and I had a class with Kim Diehl.  It was held at Calla Lily Quit Shop.  A wonderful time was had and so very much was learned.  Kim teaches machine applique that looks like hand applique.  Monofilament thread is used in the process.  Despite sewing and quilting over 25 years, I have not had a lot of luck with monofilament thread.  When I first tried it back in the mid-eighties, the thread had not been on the retail market that long and the overall quality was poor.  I quickly set it aside because it was so frustrating.  Now all of that has changed.  Monofilament now is nothing like monofilament then.  I also learned how to use freezer paper a bit differently. 

It was a wonderful class and I was so glad that I went.  And since Kim is semi-retiring from teaching, it was definitely worth it because I'm not so sure if I would have this opportunity again.  I would encourage you, if you're trying different types of machine applique, to give her method a try.  She may not be teaching, but she has some wonderful books that clearly explain the technique. And she has a new one coming out in May called Simply Applique.  I have that one on my Mother's Day wish list.


The next class I am taking is a Double Wedding Ring class taught by Teresa Johnston-Crews.  She's using John Flynn's method and templates.

Let explain a little about my relationship with John Flynn anything. 

I adore him.  His patterns and Judy Niemeyer's  are some of the most precise I've ever used.

Simple as that, but as much as I adore his frame and patterns, he's a little intimidating.  For most of his life, he was an engineer and then he kind of fell into quilting. I picked his double wedding ring book and templates up about ten years ago, read through the book, and then set them aside with the thought that "One day, I will make this quilt.  That time is not now..."  The directions were written by an engineer, so yeah...that.  Anyone who works with engineers will understand.  Definitely left-brained birdbrains people. 

Two of my friends took the class -- one hated it and one loved it.  So then I was in a quandary because nothing -- absolutely nothing -- is worse than working on a quilt you don't like. 

Now comes the part about Teresa.  I do work in a quilt shop (okay, I admit that's a little like an alcoholic working in a liquor store), and Teresa teaches quite a bit in that shop.  I've watched her students and listened to her.  Her students are always so nice to me and she is a great teacher, so when she offered this class, I figured "Why not?"  

Now for those of you who are remembering my blog about my New Year's Suggestions, please note that the Double Wedding Ring Quilt is on my Quilters Bucket List.  So therefore, it does NOT count as a "new" project.  We picked out fabric during the first class.  I came in with the idea of doing a black, pink, and teal quilt.

I left with these fabrics....



Definitely not black, pink, or teal....but I like them!

And now I have homework.  Cut strips and sew them together and then cut them again.  Thank goodness class doesn't meet again until May 16th!

For those of you who may be interested, I am presenting a hand applique round table at the High Point Quilt Guild on May 14th.  Social time starts at 6:15 p.m. and then the program begins at 7 p.m.  The guild meets at Westchester Baptist Church's fellowship hall at 135  Westchester Dr. in High Point I will be showing needle turn applique and reverse applique.  We would love to have you join us!

Love and Stitches...

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment