Thursday, April 30, 2015

Chimney Sweep

Last antique quilt...

I purchased this very used, and hopefully very loved, old quilt at a shop near Mast General Store.  Bill and I were doing a one-day road trip and I came across this neglected thing in the back of the shop.


I think this was probably a child's quilt for two reasons.  First, it's a little smaller than the other quilts I have in my possession.  And secondly, the colors chosen -- pink and blue. 

The quilt is hand-pieced and hand-quilted with a very thin cotton bat between the top and back -- which is plain muslin.  The pattern used has been called Chimney Sweep, but I'm sure it has other names, too.  The blue fabric is in good condition and hasn't faded much.  The pink fabric is very faded, to the point I'm not sure how good it will show up in the pictures.


I don't think the pink is red that has faded.  Even in the seams, the material shows a slightly darker pink.  The blocks are bordered in sashing with cornerstones.

At first glance I thought this may have been an album quilt, since the middle of the block would be terrific for signatures, but there aren't any. 

This little quilt is well-used.  It has far more damage than my other quilts and is badly stained.  I almost passed over this one, but the hand quilting was just beautiful.


It's just a cross hatch design, but the stitches are so tiny and so even. 

This quilt is bound in the traditional way that I'm used to seeing and doing.  With my feed sack quilts, the back was pulled to the front, turned under, and whipped down.  With this quilt, the binding is a separate strip of pink.

It's a sweet, little quilt and I'm glad I rescued it from the back of the antique store.   I wish I knew more about it, but there is no label on the quilt!  I have no idea who pieced it and quilted or who it was given to that loved it so well.  So please, please, please let this be a lesson and label your quilt.

Love and Stitches....

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment