Thursday, January 30, 2014

Applique on Block Two and other Stuff

The applique on block two about drove me insane.  The way it's laid out in the book and how it looks in the pictures of the quilt are slightly different.  Finally after wrestling with it for two days, I just did it the way the ladies had it laid out in the book and let it go.  I'm still needle turning mine.  The oak leaf drove me a little loopy, too, but overall I'm happy enough with it not to tear it apart again:

Block three is similar to block one....just giving you a little something to hang on to...

Some of you know the Journey of Jane that I am on.  Let me give a little background on my girl Jane.  The "Dear Jane" Quilt -- the original one -- was made by a woman named Jane Stickle about the time of the Civil War.  The quilt is magnificent.  It is pieced by hand while Jane was bedridden.  Very little is known about Jane, other than she was widowed at a fairly young age, had no children, and spent the rest of her life living in her brother's house.  The squares are 4"x 4" finished.  Brenda Papadalis wrote a book about the quilt.  Electronic Quilt picked up the quilt with its own separate software package for those who want to make the quilt.  There's a highly popular blog about the quilt  that talks about the construction of each block and the triangle borders.  The quilt has an active Facebook page.  

It's an awesome quilt and my journey with Jane began at the Sit and Sew I belong to.  Several of us decided to make the Jane.  Two of us have finished and one of those quilts took first place at the Dixie Classic Fair last year.  Because I've got so much going on in my quilting world, I can only do a couple of blocks a week and I'm half-way through the center section of the quilt.  I'm constructing mine out of my 1930's Feed Sack reproduction fabrics, and as a result, I'm calling this 
Depressed Jane or Jane Needs Prozac.  However, I am enjoying this journey so much I am planning a second Jane in batiks and only making the blocks I like.  I'm enlarging them and setting them on point.  Right now I'm still at the "collecting the fabric" stage and I have decided what blocks I will make.  But here is my first Jane at this point:


It's still snow and a balmy 22 degrees (feels like 8) in North Carolina.  It's good weather to sit inside and get caught up on housework and quilting.  Well....that fabric isn't going to piece and quilt itself.  I think I'll do that first.

Love and Stitches...

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment