Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Loss

I know that I normally write about quilts and quilters or techniques. But today I woke up to a loss.

My cat -- a beloved quilting companion of 13 years -- died last night in her sleep.

My comfort is that she died in a comfy bed, in a warm house, with ample food and medication.  Her needs and wants were carefully attended to with love.

Great love.

See, she was supposed to be a dog.  Honestly.

Scooter came into our lives 13 years ago when we visited a pet shop in search of a fru-fru dog for my daughter.  Instead, this nine-month old rescue kitten was in a cage, laying on a shelf, looking at the world from an upside-down perspective.

And I decided then that that cat deserved a home.  Anything trying to make sense of a world that doesn't make much sense most of the time from a different perspective, needed to come home with me. So instead of dog, we brought home a cat.  Despite the fact she was supposed to be Meagan's pet, she picked me.  Scooter was my cat.

So for 13 years she sat on the back of the couch or beside me while I appliqued.  Or in my sewing room with me while I pieced and quilted.  For many years she slept in my bed with me until her bladder control became an issue and she had to have a bed near her litter box.

The past few months she steadily declined and it was my fear that while we were out of town over Thanksgiving, she would pass while we were gone.  The last three days I fed her her favorite cat food, which she didn't eat.  She wouldn't even eat vanilla yogurt -- her very favorite thing.

So today, I salute a furry quilting companion.  One that always liked whatever I was making, would sit up with me however late it was I was working on a project, and provided wonderful company.

Scooter will be missed.




No comments:

Post a Comment