Sunday, June 5, 2016

Close to My Heart

I promised this week that I’d share two special quilts that have taken up quite a large place in my heart recently.

First let me tell you that I love making quilts for others.  I love making and giving them away.  I feel that somehow I’ve given that person a tangible, forever hug from me that’s an expression of my thoughts and prayers and hopes and dreams for them. 

In the last few weeks I’ve been privileged to help with one quilt for a kindergarten teacher that is undergoing her second round of cancer.  A room mother from that class dropped by the quilt shop one Tuesday when I was there and she had a picture printed off of Pinterest of a quilt made of children's hand prints.   She explained the situation – that this was to be quilt made from hand prints of all the students so that the teacher would know just how special she is.

I am a sucker for teachers. After years of teaching and acting as a principal, I have developed a deep and abiding love and respect for educators.  Kindergarten teachers are especially important because they are the first education gateway a child has and it’s up to them to make sure that experience is a positive one. This teacher needed  this quilt.

Fortunately there was a group of my quilty friends at the shop and we all conspired together.  Theressa, Angie, and I put the quilt top together.  Gail supplied the machine embroidery.  Shelle quilted it.  Angie, Susan, and I put on the binding. Most of us contributed fabric.

This is the result:



Shelle did a beautiful job quilting it.  It’s just as pretty on the back as it is on the front.



The label has a verse from a song that’s very important to the kids in Room 208.



I just hope that this quilt wraps that lady in love and she knows just how very, very special she is.

The second quilt I made is for my cousin who is undergoing his own battle with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.  There are seven cousins on my dad’s side of the family and we’re all pretty close despite time and distance.  I was floored when my brother called me with the news that our cousin had cancer. 

I regularly make and donate “chemo quilts” to our guild, who in turn, distributes them to Hayworth Cancer Center, our local cancer treatment hospital.  I knew I wanted to make such a quilt for my cousin.  He’s former military, so red, white, and blue seemed appropriate.  I finished it and got it in the mail on Thursday.  He called me today.  It arrived yesterday and he said it took him a day to call me.  He loves it, and that was music to my ears.  He said he will use it when he goes for his next treatment on Friday. 



He claimed I Thessalonians 5:16-18 as his verses through this journey.  I wanted to put them on the label for a couple of reasons.   First, for them to comfort and remind him of God’s presence in this situation.  And second, as a reminder after this “storm” has passed, that God’s always in charge of the situation no matter what it is. 




I love to quilt, there’s no doubt about that.   And as much as these quilts bless the recipient, I am doubly blessed to have the opportunity and means to make them.  If you don’t belong to a guild or quilt group that has a charity quilt program, let me encourage you to look on the internet for groups that need quilts.  Project Linus and Quilts of Valor are two of the groups that constantly need quilts.  Your local law enforcement, social workers, or fire fighters may also have a need for them. 

Don’t hesitate to be a blessing.  Trust me, you truly get back more than you give.

Love and Stitches,


Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment