Sunday, May 29, 2016

Happy Memorial Day!

There’s no “official” blog this week for a couple of reasons.

First, it’s Memorial Day Weekend and I have plans.  I had to help finish a quilt for a kindergarten class.  These kids have a wonderful teacher who was just diagnosed with stage two cancer.  It’s this lady’s second round with the cancer beast and frankly, the whole situation is scary.  So these kids put their handprints on some muslin squares.  I spent most of the day Thursday with my quilty friend Angie putting it together.    It looks wonderful and when it’s completely finished, I’ll show a picture. 

Then I wanted to finish a very special quilt for my cousin Kemp who has also been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing treatments.  He lives in another state.  I can’t cook or clean or do his laundry because of distance, but I can give him a quilt that’s stitched with love and quilted with prayer.  I will also post pictures of that quilt next week.

Second….this happened a long, long time ago…




Yeah.  Thirty-three years ago today.  I swear I’m ancient because in many ways it seems much, much longer than 33 years.

And before you ask, no, I did not make my dress.  At that point in my life I didn’t know which end of a needle to thread.  My mom owned a dress shop and I ordered it from one of her vendors.  Princess Diana had gotten married the year before I did, so every single wedding dress was miles and miles of tulle, lace, satin, and more lace and beading.

 Every. Single. Dress.

I swear my train was so long I needed another car to transport it in to the church.  The veil was on-sale at Sellars Department Store in Burlington and that sucker was as long as my train.  The whole contraption arrived at the altar three minutes after I did.

And before you ask, no, there are no plans to renew the vows.  It is what it is.  We have two children, two in-love kids, two beyond-precious granddarlings, a cat, a boat, and a business.  I’d much rather take the money we’d spend at a renewal celebration and go somewhere with a warm beach and warm ocean and sunny skies.

So this weekend, celebrate your families.  Hug them close and thank God for health.  Remember those that fought and died so you are able to do this.  Above all remember that the freedom that we so often take for granted isn’t free by any stretch of an imagination.  It has been paid for by the ultimate price—the lives and blood of our sons and daughters and wives and husbands and brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews and wives and husbands and grandfathers and cousins. 

Love and Stitches…


Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment