Friday, April 1, 2016

Where Everyone Knows My Name




I already had an idea picked out for the blog this week, but last night I got some news that blew that idea out of the water. I received a text from a friend at 6 p.m. telling me that all Hancock Fabric Stores are going out of business. 

This friend lives in Winston, so I assumed she had been at the Reynolda Road store and got the scoop.  It didn’t take me but a minute to grab my keys, pocketbook,  and cell phone and head for the door.

“I’m going to Hancock’s,” I hollered over my shoulder to Bill.

“Now?”

“Yes.”

“But you can’t need anything….you just got back from Lancaster.”

Men.  Do they ever need a new golf club or fishing rod after just going to the sporting goods store?  Yes.  So why are you asking me about fabric?  Duh.

“They’re going out of business.”

“Oh.”

He knew this was more than a pursuit of that perfect background fabric for my next applique project.  This was the beginning of a long good-bye.

For those of you non-quilters/sewing enthusiasts out there, you have to understand the place that fabric and quilt stores hold in the quilter’s/sewing enthusiast’s heart.  It’s more than a store.  It’s kind of like the bar on Cheers (that’s an old TV show – if you don’t know what it is, please google it).  It’s a support system. It’s a classroom.

It’s a place where everybody knows your name and most of your business.

I started sewing in 1986, shortly after the birth of my daughter.  The only game in town at that point was Piece Goods.  I shopped there and even worked for them on occasion when they needed extra help or was doing inventory.

Then Hancock’s opened.  I tried to divide my time and dollars spent between the stores, but Hancock’s was literally five blocks from where I lived and Piece Goods was all the way at the mall.  For a young mom with two toddlers, Hancock’s tended to win in the end.  They knew me, knew my kids, and became a part of my life.  After Piece Goods declared bankruptcy and closed, Hancock’s was it as far as real fabric and notions went.  I wasn’t quilting at this point, but I was making all of my children’s clothes and most of my own.  Soon I was teaching clothing construction and French heirloom sewing for them.

In 2001 I signed up for their block-of-the-month class and that’s when I met Ellen  and really learned out to quit.  For several years I belonged to that bee as a member and then became the leader when Ellen retired and moved to Shallotte.

So that Greensboro Hancock’s store became my lifeline in many ways.  When I needed a break from kids or grading papers or life in general, I’d head for Hancock’s.

They knew me there.  They’d greet me when I came in the door and point me to the newest bolts.

I held my breath in the mid-2000’s when they went into Chapter 11 the first time.  The High Point store fell victim to the first round of downsizing, but the Greensboro store was good.  I held my breath again this past January when they went in for their second round Chapter 11 and was relieved when the Bridford Hanock’s store manager told me that the Asheboro store was shuttering, but the Greensboro store was good – however the company had to find a buyer by March 31.

That didn’t happen.

Word must have spread pretty quickly last night.  By the time I got to the Bridford store, I met two quilters in the parking lot and five more folks I knew in the store.  The store manager greeted me by name and we hugged.

It’s the beginning of the long, slow goodbye.

I know retail establishments of any kind aren’t living, breathing beings, but they house them.  And if we’re lucky, the relationship between them and us transcends more than dollars and cents and debit cards.  We learn their children and they learn ours.  If we have a question, they can answer it.  If we have heard about a new technique and haven’t had the courage to try it yet, someone in the store (customer or employee) may have and they’re willing to share it with us.

It’s a place where they know us and we know them.

This is why it’s so, so very important to support your local fabric and quilt shops.  It may be chain store, but they employee our neighbors and friends.  Online shopping is wonderful and you can do it in your jammies and it’s well and good that we buy from them. 

But the relationship with them is not the same.  They’re not going to smile and greet you by name when you open their web page.

Liquidation begins at all Hancock’s today.  No coupons will be honored. Everything is back to full price with 20% off the top – the Great American Group and lawyers are setting the rules now.  No 10% off for guild memberships or teacher’s discounts.  The bottom line is what matters during this process.

In about two months, a place that has occupied a fairly significant part of my life and heart will be shuttered and darkened.  It’s a prime location, so I imagine Ollie’s may expand into it or it will become something equally  depressing.  And I will have to find somewhere else for my bee to meet and somewhere to buy sewing machine needles at 7 p.m. on a Friday night when I break my last one. 


I hate goodbyes.

Please not that the Hancock closings do not include Hancock's of Paducah.  That store is independently owned and operated and will stay open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment