Friday, April 8, 2016

The Finish Line



I want to finish my series on finishing today. 

Completing a project is such a liberating experience.  It lets you move on to the next adventure in quilting without feeling bogged down with another UFO on the shelf.  Most quilters have, on average, three projects underway at the same time.  Finishing one of those certainly opens up more options for more fabric, another pattern, another opportunity to try something new.

What I would like to challenge you folks with today is a new view on the next project.  We’ve sort of taken the process apart in earlier blogs, but now I would like to encourage you to look at a new pattern with fresh eyes.  Far too often we quilters usually find a pattern we like and fall into that “I have to make this quilt.  It’s the most amazing/darling/cute/beautiful quilt ever,” category.



And the next thing you know the pattern is in our shopping cart and we’re purchasing fabric for it like there’s no tomorrow.  So if you come away with anything from this series, I hope it’s this:

Slow. Down.

Take the time to look at the entire quilt.  Pull the directions out and read them. Ask yourself the following:

1.     Why do I want to make this quilt? 


2.    Is there a block/process here I really, absolutely do not like to do?  If there is, is there a way around that block/process that would make your quilting life easier?  Could you change the directions to suit yourself?  For me this issue is Y-seams.  There are no bones about it – I hate Y-seams.  But if I can wrangle the pattern to use half-square triangles, I’m all in. However, if you find there's just no way around the block/process you really dislike, then it might be a good idea to shelve the pattern -- no matter how much you like the quilt.

3.    How much actual time do I have to devote to this quilt?  If your schedule is slammed full, then it may be a good idea to go ahead and purchase the pattern.  Put it on your "to do" list and opt to find the time to start at another date.



4.    Is this quilt above my skill set?  A quilt that’s too hard can be discouraging. If it is too far above your skill set, is there a class you could take to improve it before you start the quilt?  Maybe there’s a class that’s being offered at your LQS on that very quilt that you could take.  That’s always fun and you meet new quilters. Are there You-Tube videos or blogs on the technique or quilting friends that could help you?  If it’s not too far above your level of expertise, are you up to a new challenge at this point in your life?  New challenges are always fun, but they do take time to master.  Look at your entire life, not just your quilting time. 


5.    How much will this cost me?  It’s really, really easy to get excited about a new quilt.  Believe me, I know.  But don’t throw caution (or your debit card) to the wind and purchase all the fabric at that moment.  Buy the pattern.  Take it home and shop your stash.  You may be surprised at what you find and what you don’t have to buy.  That stash is not there for insulation, it’s there to use.  Use it.  Then go purchase what you need.  That fabulous fabric you saw at the LQS or on-line will be there tomorrow.  Trust me. 




I want to emphasize this because a quilt is more than just a quilt.  It’s an investment of your time and  money.  If lots of fabric is purchased to make a new quilt, and the quilter hasn’t counted the cost of her time, the pattern, and her skill set, then that fabric is going to sit in a bag or box in the quilt room and not do a thing.


And investments don’t need to remain idle.  They need to be productive.


Quite honestly, I struggle with all of this.  If a group of my quilty friends are making a quilt, I want to jump right in there with them.  New challenges inspire and stimulate me.  I love new patterns, new fabric, and new classes.  But I have found if I slow down, it does make life easier for me all the way around.  I feel like I’m managing my projects instead of them managing me!


And that’s liberating.


Love and Stitches,


Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment