Thursday, January 21, 2016

There's a Time for Every Purpose Under Heaven...


Continuing where we left off last week…that finishing thing…

We are all busy.  My mom, who has been “retired” for a number of years, tells me she’s busier now than she ever was when she was working. That information (and the fact that Mom straight-up tells me like it is) does not bode well for what I want to do after my husband and I sell our business.

I currently work full-time in that business, do my own housework (someone tell my husband there is such a thing as maid service, please), and work part-time in my local quilt store to support my fabric habit.  I’m an active member of my local guild and am a board member of The Applique Society. 

Busy….that’s what I am.  And in many ways, I like “busy-ness.” It keeps me focused and off the couch, watching TV for hours. However, all of these activities require me to be fairly organized as far as my quilting is concerned. 

Teaching high school really, really taught me how to plan.  I found that a good planner went a long way in assisting me.  And I have tried almost every planner on the market – paper, computer—you name it, I’ve given it a whirl.  I’m old enough to appreciate a tangible, carry with you, paper calendar/planner more than something on my phone (gosh darn why do they make those screens so small?) or on my computer (who carries their lap top with them any longer?) or iPad (again with the small screen thing coupled with the small key pad).

So with the fact that I have years more than you’ll ever get me to admit under my belt dealing with planners, let me tell you how I use them in my quilting.  Everything in life is pretty much scheduled, right?  Work, school, dentist appointments…nearly everything has a time slot.  Quilting should have that, too.  Everyone has a thousand things to do and just so many hours to do it in.  If quilting isn’t given a time slot, projects are never going to be finished.

“But it’s just a hobby…and there are other things I have to do…”  Yeah, I can hear that all the way over here.  And while true, quilting isn’t as necessary as your job, spending time with your family, or getting that root canal you need, it is still necessary. Quilters quilt for a variety of reasons.  Quilting uses the parts of the brain that assist in problems solving and it helps prevent Alzheimer’s.  It keeps math skills sharp.  But most quilters quilt because it gives them a chance to be creative and it gives an escape from reality.  The time spent with beautiful fabric, wonderful patterns, and other quilters allows us to forget about bills and illnesses and that co-worker that absolutely drives us nuts. 

So yes, quilting is necessary.  And so is finishing.  If quilting is given a time in your day or week on a regular basis, projects will be completed – and remember finished is better than perfect.

I have found that this little planner currently fits all my needs at this time.  And I really, really wish it was around when I taught school. 
 
It’s by Plum Paper and it is fabulous. Scheduling is a snap and the calendars are big enough to write everything down. 
 
There is also a project section that I use each week to set goals about what I want to accomplish.  Each week I can check them off as I go and plan ahead for the next week.  As I’m planning ahead, I can consult my patterns to see if I’m at a point where I’m going to have some issues.  If one quilt project is going to need more time because it’s at a time-consuming point or the next part is just difficult for me, I can allot more time for that project. 

That way, every project keeps moving forward. 

And that’s important.

Love and Stitches…

Sherri

Please note that I am not on staff with Plum Paper and receive no payment or products from that company.  I use their planners and absolutely love them and the way they can be personalized.  The calendars can be ordered at any point on the  year and can run 12 or 18 or 24 months.  If interested, visit their Facebook page.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment