Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Let's Try This One More Time...

If all you've ever done at a quilt show is shop, let me clue you in on something...

They're a lot of work.

Even for a one-day show with a small guild like mine, it's a lot of work.  It wearies me to no end to try to fathom what goes on in a huge, multi-day show like AQS and NQA put on.










These are our lovely raffle baskets that everyone raved over....
 
 
And this is our lovely 2015 Raffle Quilt (I still have tickets.  We don't draw for it until December.)
 

This wasn't a judged show, per se, but we did have viewer' choice ribbons.  Gail Lawson's Dear Jane won in the large quilt division.






Theressa Smith won the small quilt/wall hanging division with her Mexican Star.
 

Since I was the outgoing president of the guild, it was my responsibility to chose the theme for the 2015 President's Challenge, so I chose, "What Does High Point Mean to Me?"  There were rules about the size, the materials, and the color -- it had to have purple in it.  It also had to be an original work -- no kits, no patterns, no classes.  Karen Tooley took the viewer's choice in this division with her quilt:

This hits on just about everything High Point is:  the furniture city, the international city, the transportation city, High Point College, jazz music, and World Relief.

Here are a few of my favorites...


 These two are by Linda Hudgins, and both show her sense of whimsy.  The top on is a miniature of "The House Quilt."  Each house depicts a different holiday or time of year.  My favorite is the beach house with all the surf boards outside.

The one below that is completely self-explanatory....


This is Judy Poteat's Hop To It.  Her technique and color selection are always flawless.

 This is one by Gail Lawson. I can't remember what it was called but I absolutely loved the yellows used in the blocks and backgrounds.  Some quilters don't like to work with yellow, but I love the way this one plays well with the other colors.

This is "The House Quilt."  Several years ago a few of my friends took a class in this quilt and for months you would have sworn they were general contractors the way they talked about walls and chimneys and window sills.  This quilt was done by Theressa Smith and has won quite a few awards.
 T-shirt quilts were present and I just had to take a photo of this one.  The quilt was pieced and quilted by Shelle Mancl, whose husband has run many a marathon.
 This is another beautiful quilt by Judy Poteat.  It's called Quilting the Garden.  I love, love, love her color choices.  And as per usual, her technique is flawless.

This is another quilt by Linda Hudgins.  It's all machine embroidery and is her family tree.

Other than my President's Quilt, I didn't have one in the show.  I tried my best to get At Piece with Time done, but it just wasn't to be.   My long-arm artist is backed up out the wazoo right now.  It will be ready for the 2017 show.

Which begs the question -- do you quilt every quilt with a quilt show in mind?  I always try to do my best in every aspect -- color selection, pattern choice, technique, and quilting -- but no, I don't quilt every quilt with a quilt show in mind.  That just adds a layer of stress on my already stressful life.. 

I did find out what was wrong with BlogSpot last week.  Evidently BlogSpot is like me -- it hates change, because it does not play well with Windows 10 and Windows Edge.  I have to post through Internet Explorer.  Oy-vey.

There will not be a blot next week.  I leave this weekend to spend a week at Emerald Isle with my family.  I hope to return refreshed and ready to quilt!

Love and Stitches...

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment