Friday, July 11, 2014

Hearth and Home -- Block 8

Happy Post Fourth of July!

I didn't post last week (duh), not because of the holiday.   I wasn't on the beach somewhere drinking margaritas and looking for my lost shaker of salt. 

Nope.  Had nothing to do with that.

My laptop decided to fry the hard drive.

I was working at my "real" job when one of those nasty pop-ups popped up.  I could hear this random guy talking about investment banking, but couldn't find the pop-up to pop him out.  By the time I did close it, it had unloaded a nasty virus that over a period of four days completely fried my hard drive. 

The good news is I had really great back up via Carbonite.  All of my accounting software is backed up twice, so it was fine.  And I didn't lose any of my quilting patterns or lessons. 

The bad news is I had to buy a new laptop.

So between that and a family reunion last week, the blog just didn't happen.  I owe you folks another blog and will get on that soon.  But today I want to talk to you about the eighth block of At Piece with Time -- Hearth and Home. 

This block is my favorite so far.  It's a simple put-together without an inordinate amount of exposed bias seams (which you should be comfortable handling by now).  This block is really simple. Just make sure you follow the standard quilting rules -- keep your seams a consistent quarter inch, measure twice before you cut, and lay the block out before you put it together.  The pressing directions are great for this block so be sure to follow them.

Quick.  Easy.  Simple.



It's the applique that's a little more complicated. 

This block has the bird's nest in the center.  Be careful to center your nest accurately. For some reason, this gave me issues.  You may fly through this part without a hitch, but for whatever reason, I had problems with this part.  If you've already appliqued the nest on your setting triangles, that will put you one step ahead on this block.  The nest on the triangles is larger, but you know that there are gentle curves on this nest.

However, this nest is much smaller that the one on the setting triangles.

Teeny, tiny nest ....

With teenier, tinier eggs....

Again, Kristen Steiner and Diane Fankenberger do a wonderful job in giving us numbered layouts.  Follow that layout carefully.  If you do that and take your time, you'll do fine with this teeny, tiny nest. 

Remember, it's all about the journey...not necessarily the destination. 

Love and Stitches,
Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment