Thursday, March 6, 2014

Grandmother's Favorite (Complete) and Friendship Star

Normally I'm a pretty "chill" person.  I have a laid-back personality and try really hard to go with the flow.  But I swear if we have anymore ice or snow, I'm gonna snap.  I simply cannot go with the ice-flow on this one.  Now I know I have friends up north (insert wave to Beth Jones and Yvonne Simms here) that have had far more snow that we have, but let me reiterate...They. Live. Up. North.

I. Do. Not.

There's a a reason I live in the South and this ice that is now falling outside right now ain't one of them.

Deep sigh.

But I have a good bottle of wine and both my cats are curled up on the couch with me and for the moment, life has slowed down a bit.  If the roads are slick tomorrow, I can go into work late and maybe not at all.  Which means I can get my weekend housework over early and quilt the rest of the weekend.  And I have a new sewing machine to try out, so I am super-duper excited about that....thank you Gerald and Patty Grubb and Dragonfly Quilt Shop.

I can't wait to share with you a new quilt I'm working on, but I need to get a few more blocks completed before I do.  So for now, let me show you my completed block for Grandmother's Favorite in At Piece With Time:



I think this is my favorite block so far.  I love the flower in the middle.

Now to the next block. -- Friendship Star.  I love this block, too.  I have so many good friends in my life that I just hope I can do them justice with this block.  I have my quilting friends, my writing friends (and quite often those two overlap), my ballroom dance friends, and friends that I've had since high school.  Friends are family you pick for yourself, and I'm blessed with quite a few women that I truly consider my "sisters" since I don't have any.

First of all, notice the + or - beside the measurements from here on out.  On this block, there's a + on "B".  What this means is that the actual measurements fall within 1/16th of an inch.  This measurement is normally not on a rotary mat.  Cut a thread or two over  the measurement (if there is a + sign) or a thread or two under the measurement (if there is a - sign).  And use a scant 1/4-inch seam allowance.  Unfortunately, the directions with this quilt doesn't give the measurements of the completed section, so you'll have to make sure the block measures 10 1/2 - inches square when you're done.  It's then you may have to make adjustments.

 

Another hint is to lay out steps 2-6.  Follow the pressing directions carefully so all the points meet perfectly in the middle.

 Also notice that in Row 2, it says to press the seams open, just like in garment construction.  This helps reduce bulk and makes the points easier to match.


The block goes together pretty easily, and I'm happy with the results.  I'll deal with the applique in a later blog.

You folks stay warm and dry.

Love and Stitches,

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment