Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Dilemma of National Quilt Shows


I am still in the middle of cleaning out my quilt room.  And I have determined either I am a reader with a quilting issue, or a quilter with a reading issue.  I have three stacks of books still setting in the middle of the room.  One stack I will keep, another stack will be donated to my guild, and the third – and largest stack – will be taken to Good Will.  Those books have nothing to do with quilting.

Soon – in thirteen days to be exact – I will be leaving with about 45 other quilters from this area to go to what is probably the last AQS show in Lancaster, PA for a while.  The AQS folks officially announced yesterday that Paducah, Kentucky will be the site of two yearly quilt shows, one in the fall and one in the spring.  Since I have heard they have also cancelled their contract with Chattanooga, this means that there is the possibility there will be no major quilt shows from them on the Eastern Seaboard.

I’m not sure how I feel about this yet.  I’ve been to Paducah twice and it’s wonderful.  I fully intend to go back again.  But AQS has a huge membership from all over the nation and the decision to locate two of the major shows in one place means that it’s difficult for a lot of members to get there.

There are  good reasons for AQS to do this.  First, Paducah is used to hosting one of the largest quilt shows in the United States. And they do it well.  Some cities do not react well to the throngs of eager quilters arriving in their city limits.  Charlotte, NC was one of them.  The show received mediocre attention at best and the city poorly promoted it. 

Paducah has it down to a science.  Homes and churches open their doors and the city rolls out the red carpet for us.

Second, I imagine that behind this knowledge is the manpower to host the show.  It takes time and muscle to pull this off.  And then there are facilities.  Once you’re at the show, you’re in walking distance of numerous quilt shops and the National Quilt Museum (which in itself is another reason to host shows in Paducah).

In short, they have their act together.  But then again, so did Lancaster, and it’s in the heart of Amish country.  That means lots of Amish, Mennonite, and other quilt shops.

It biggest disagreement I have with this decision is that it may limit quilters’ ability to get to the show.  While Paducah is located more towards the center of the United States, having several shows at other locations definitely makes it easier for lots of quilters to have the opportunity to attend an AQS show. 

However, the business woman in me also knows that it was probably the bottom line that facilitated that decision.  The National Quilting Association shuttered its organization last year, siting financial difficulties as the reason.  Hedging the bottom line is always a good idea.

I would like to encourage all quilters to try to attend a national quilt show.  I know there are lots of local quilt shows that go on in every state, but national quilt shows are a bit different. 

First, you will meet quilters from all over the place.  Trading ideas and patterns is a hoot and you learn so much.  And the best quilts and quilters are there.  So much inspiration and knowledge in one place!

Next are the vendors.  The cream of the crop are at the national shows.  All those wonderful on-line stores you order from?  Most of them have a booth at an AQS show.  Also worth mentioning are the top-of-the-line, hot-off-the-assembly-line, newest sewing machines, mid-arms, and long arms.  Add to that the fact that most of those vendors have show specials that are running the duration of the show (and they usually will ship free to your home so you don’t have to lug it back in your car), and it’s a win/win situation.

Third are the classes. Fantastic classes with nationally and internationally known teachers are available for an additional fee.  I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to take classes with the likes of Sue Nickels, Harriet Hargrave, and Cindy Williams. Somehow those teachers can take a large class and make it feel like a one-on-one sewing session.  And yes, I know that on-line classes are available through AQS, Craftsy, and other organizations.  But seeing these women and men in person pushes it to another level.  Plus they take the time to walk around the classroom and you actually get to  meet them.  It’s kind of like the red carpet at Oscar night.

And to me, the most important aspect of traveling to a national quilt show is the fellowship of the quilters.  I couldn’t drag my husband to one of these things if my life depended on it, but I can get a group of my friends together and take off to parts unknown with a GPS and a shopping list.  And fun and mayhem invariably ensue.

I would strongly advise any quilter to plan to attend at least one national quilt show in their lifetime.  It’s well worth the effort (and money).  There’s just no other experience like it.

Until next week…

Love and Stitches…

 

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment