Friday, February 19, 2016

Make Room for Me...


I am late posting this week, but I have a very good excuse. 

I got my "new" quilt room.

See, there is this room in our house that has had many “personalities.”  When we first moved here in 1995, it was our den, because well…it was a den when we saw the house.  My daughter was in fourth grade and my son was in first grade back then.  As both of them got older, it became the “rec room.”  We had gaming systems and a big TV and lots of stuff for the kids to do in it.  When my daughter left home to go to college, my son claimed the room for his bedroom.  It was one of the largest in the house, next to the kitchen, and had its own deck.  It was perfect and big enough to be his “man-cave” and bedroom.

Later, after Matt left home, my DH claimed it for his man-cave and it looked like a store room for Bass Pro Shop. 

Now somewhere in all this shifting and kids growing up, one thing remained the same:  my quilt room was the smallest room in the house.  When we moved here, that made sense. The kids were in school, I was working, and quilting hadn’t taken over my life then the way it has now. 

But now is now and then was then.  And somewhere along the way, resentment had built up.  I walked into the DH’s man-cave one night and claimed it for my own.  After all, he had a two level Leonard Building in the back, a bedroom, and two other smaller rooms for his fishing and cameras. 

Frankly, it was my turn.  After he recovered from his surprise and my scorn, he agreed.

Reluctantly, but he agreed.  “Have the Direct TV changed to the small den and we’ll get you set up.”

So he said. But nothing was done…no new floors, no better lighting, no removal of man-cave furniture and fishing rods.

About a year later, my daughter and son-in-law and the two grand darlings needed a place to land until they could find an apartment.  So the room became their home for six months.  It was wonderful to see the grand dears every day, but they left last weekend and moved to Oak Ridge.

As soon as their last load left the driveway, I moved my machines and tables and fabric and projects into the room faster than a New York minute.

No one is taking my room again.


View from Front and Back
 
All my project boxes (notice some are empty, so I do finish some things) and batting
Initial set up -- there have been quite a few things added since this picture was made.  Look for updates soon!
 
First "real" sewing cabinet I ever had -- Mom and Dad gave it to me almost 25 years ago.
 
Sam has found his spot.  He likes hanging out with me in our quilt room.
 
I cleaned out as I moved things into my new quilt room and discovered I evidently have a ruler fetish... Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment