Saturday, December 19, 2015

So On The Way Home I Bought a Lotto Ticket.....


Let me start this week’s blog off by stating two things.

First, Thursday, December 17, was my Guild’s Christmas party.

And second, I never win anything.

I don’t.  I can buy a dozen lottery scratch-off tickets and won’t win a dime.  I can buy dozens of raffle tickets and get nada in return.  This has been my life since I was old enough to play BINGO in kindergarten.

Until Thursday night at the Christmas party. Besides being just the normal Christmas-party-type-event with the food, desserts, and fun, we were drawing tickets for the guild’s 2015 raffle quilt and the 2015 charity raffle prize.

I loved the raffle quilt.  I really did.  What wasn’t to love about this?
 

I had purchased two envelopes worth of tickets and crossed my fingers and toes and bra, but my name wasn’t drawn.  I wasn’t shocked, given my history, but was placated with the thought that I did have the instructions and could make my own.  After all, I had helped construct the 2015 raffle quilt and now knew the ins and outs of the pattern and a few very strategic short cuts.

However the prize I really, really wanted to win was the crafting accessory bag that the Charity Quilt program was raffling off.
 

My good friend, Linda, had made one of these a couple of years ago and I had lusted after hers ever since.  I even strongly suggested that the guild make one for me as the outgoing gift at the end of my presidency.

Instead they gifted me with a gorgeous purple and white signature quilt that not only has every guild members’ name on it and my years as guild president, but also acknowledges that I was the founding president.  I cried when I received it and cry nearly every time I look at it.  It’s perfect. 

A few months later I purchased the Craftsy class for the bag and the zippers and vinyl to go with it.  I already had the fabric and had pretty much decided that as soon as cold weather set in so I couldn’t be beckoned outside, I would put in the hours on the bag. 

So when my name was drawn for the bag, I didn’t believe it.  They had to show me the ticket.

Hot damn!  Oh boy!

This. Is. The. Most. Wonderful. Bag. Ever.

Just look at all the compartments! 




 

But my good luck didn’t stop there.  We were instructed to bring four fat quarters with us to the party.  The first-vice president then led us in a great game of Dirty Santa.  If you’ve ever played this game, one of two things will happen.  Either everyone will be very nice and accept whatever is in their package without dissent; or there will be that one present everyone wants and it’s nearly a free-for-all until it’s claimed for the last time.

Take a gander at these fat quarters….
 

Nearly everyone wanted them…they were possessed by so many people I thought we were going to have to call an exorcist before someone would be able to take them home.

But guess who they ended up with at the end of the evening?

That would be me.

I had never had that much luck in one night EVER.

So when my good friend Nancy laughingly suggested that with the run of luck I was having, it may be a good idea to buy a lotto ticket on the way home, I kind of shrugged off her idea.  After all, how long of a good run of luck could I have? 

Then I began doing the math.  I’m 54 years-old.  I’ve never had this much good fortune in one sitting in…well, forever.  Mathematically the odds were in my favor.  And it would only take a few minutes.

This was my reasoning as I eased my SUV into a brightly lit convenience store that sold scratch offs.  I made my way inside and purchased a single scratch-off ticket…

And won ten bucks.

It has been a very Merry Christmas so far….

Love and Stitches…

 

Sherri

 PS...There will be no blog next week, as it's Christmas at my house.  I wish those who celebrate this holiday, Merry Christmas.  For those that are celebrating Hanukah, I wish you Hanukkah Sameach.  And for those celebrating Kwanzaa, Habari gani  If you don't celebrate any of these, have a great few days off and get some rest!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment