Monday, November 9, 2015

It's Beginning to Feel a Little Like Christmas....


So…this blog is either late (because I usually publish between Thursdays and Sundays) or early.  I’m going to go with late, because I never made my deadline last week.  I have a very good reason….

I was playing Santa’s Helper.

As a rule, I don’t give quilts for Christmas.  I’m never quite sure how much they are appreciated as Christmas gifts unless someone specifically asks for one.  But this year I have two munchkins that are just at the right age for dolls and doll beds and doll quilts.

And I am blessed to have a couple of friends who agreed to play their parts as Santa’s Elves, too.

Shelle, one of my prime partners in crime, is married to a guy who makes beautiful things out of wood.  He agreed to make two doll beds for me.  Bless his heart, they are just perfect and he put vines and leaves and quilt blocks on them.  I love these for two reasons (besides the fact they’re just beautiful).  They’re not alike, so the granddarlings can’t fight over whose is whose, and they’re sturdy.  They will hold up to active play for years and years.
 

Karen, another good friend of mine who makes custom dolls – the cuddly type that can be played with and slept with – is making two dolls for the girls.  I will be sure to post pictures of those when she gets those to me in December.

But since I’ve had the doll beds in hand for a couple of weeks, I needed to make mattresses and sheets…
 

And doll quilts and pillows….
 

The quilts are quite utilitarian, but I figure they’re going to be the recipient of a lot of hard play and many washings.  As Evangeline and Elli get older and want to keep the beds out of sentimental reasons, I will make them elaborate applique quilts to use on the beds.

Since I’m now at the age I hate the pressure of deadlines, I opted to forge ahead and get these done.  I pieced the tops at the quilt retreat and finished everything else at home.

If nothing else, it’s beginning to feel a little like Christmas!

 

Love and Stitches,

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment