Thursday, January 22, 2015

Jumping on the Wool Wagon

I fought it.  I really did.

I fought it hard.

But despite my best efforts, I succumbed to temptation and have started wool applique.

I honestly had no intention of doing so, despite two of my best quilting buddies in the world (thank you so much Theressa and Judy) telling me how much fun it is.  However, this little bird came to town....
 
His name is Bertie and he has a quilt called Bertie's Year and it was simply too adorable to pass up.  There is a block for every month of the year that features the little guy up to all kinds of antics.  Patti offered the entire series as a block of the month at Dragonfly.
 
The left side of my brain promptly kicked into gear...
 
"Don't do it...don't sign up for another class...Have you looked at your project sheet lately?  The list of classes you've been asked to teach?  Have you looked at your sewing room?"
 
"But it has a lot of embroidery," the right side of my brain responded.  "I haven't done embroidery in years!  Lots of new quilt patterns are featuring that!  It would be an asset to my quilting resume..."
 
"It will probably take an entire different set of rulers and fabrics and threads than you already have...and don't have space for until Bill finishes your new studio," left brain continued.
 
"The fabrics are included in the kit..." whined right brain.
 
"You absolutely don't need anymore handwork.  None."
 
"But Judy's  teaching....."
 
Yup.  The last one did it.  Judy Poteat is teaching the class.  One of the best quilters I know.
 
Her work is perfect.
 
She's as patient as God.
 
She can make anything.
 
When  I grow up I want to be Judy Poteat.
 
Right brain won the argument so now me and Bertie have a great time together.
 


My mother gave me all of her DMC floss when she moved into her condo, but I still broke down and purchased some pearle cotton to do the embroidery stiches with.  The pearle cotton shows up better on the dark background than the DMC floss does.  I use the DMC to whip stitch down all the wool pieces.
 
It is different than cotton applique.  I use a chenille needle.  It is thicker than an applique needle and longer, so it takes a little getting used to.  The wood doesn't fray, but we're appliqueing on flannel...
 
A fabric that I am having a love/hate relationship with.  It's a perfect complement to the wools, but it does fray like crazy and it is soooooooooooooo stretchy compared to cotton fabric.  We border the applique squares with half-square triangles.  It's  simple step, but sewing and pressing the flannels does have a learning curve that I'm yet to conquer.   I did the January block and absolutely hated the way it turned out.  I purchased another kit to re-do it. 
 
I love my little feathered friend and am finding the wool applique relaxing.  And it is fun re-visiting all those embroidery stitches I honestly thought I had forgotten a long time ago.
 
Love and Stitches,
 
Sherri
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment