Thursday, January 29, 2015

Antique Quilt Number Two

Here's another antique quilt I have that uses feed sacks.

It's a simple four-patch surrounded by borders.  Each block is about 8-inches square.  I always think that it's kind of amazing, that after years and years and years, quilters still use the same patterns.  I've made lots of quilts that have incorporated a four-patch. 

The back of the quilt is made of the feed sacks, too -- all the same color.

 
One of the feed sacks is slightly darker.  I'm not sure if this was because it was from a different dye run than the other three or if the other three are more faded.  But there is a definite, visible difference.
 


I purchased this quilt at an antique shop in Beaufort, North Carolina.  It was in wonderful condition and was on consignment.  The owner of the antique shop even called the owner of the quilt to see if he knew any of the history behind it.  Unfortunately, he didn't.  It wasn't a family quilt, but he did know it originated out of Virginia. 

It's machine pieced, but it is hand quilted.

There is some minimal damage to the quilt, but it was so clean when I bought it, I didn't wash it.

I love all the bright, cheerful colors!

And just like the first antique quilt I blogged about, this one doesn't have a separate binding.  However, this time, the front of the quilt was pulled around to the back and used as binding.

 

Again, like a great number of antique quilts, there is no label on this beauty.  So I have no idea exactly when it was constructed.  I wish I did.  It's in such wonderful shape and you can tell the quilter, despite whatever limited resources she had, carefully planned this quilt out.  Four-patches aren't repeated and each four-patch is bordered in such a way that there are no two squares exactly alike and the eye travels from one color to the next without wincing.  She made use of what she had in the best way possible and didn't spare any fabric for borders -- a common trait among Depression Era quilts. 

So please, please....label your quilts!  That way if your quilt makes it into someone's blog in the future, there will be some kind of history to go on!

Love and Stitches!

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment