Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Beginnings and Endings

Happy New Year! 

I know it's still just New Year's Eve Day (Both an eve and a day!  It's a miracle...those of you who watch the TV show Bones should catch that....),  but Happy New Years anyway.  Good bye and good riddance to 2014 and hello 2015.

I don't make New Year resolutions.  I stopped doing that a long time ago.  I make New Year Suggestions.  Suggestions sounds a lot less stressful than resolutions.  Some of these are universal.  I want to eat more healthy.  I want to lose a few pounds.  I want to be kinder to people and less judgmental.

As a quilter, I want to clean out my sewing area and organize it.  And keep it that way.  

You may stop laughing at me now.  I really want to do this.  Really.  Especially if I ever get my new quilt studio finished. 

I absolutely don't need to find any additional new patterns that I just have to have. There is a two page spread sheet taped to my refrigerator  completely full of projects I want to do before my children put me in the home for old quilters.  So this year I have strongly suggested to myself that I will not add to that list.  I need to finish some tops and get some flimsies quilted. 

Seriously.

As 2014 is waning, the end of this year has also found be giving up a position that I have loved for the past three years:  President of the High Point Quilt Guild.

The guild held its first meeting the second Thursday of January 2012.  I knew there was interest out there for a guild in my area.  Greensboro had two guilds.  High Point had one during the 1980's but it disbanded years ago.  I told myself that I would be happy if we had 15 people show up.

We had 35 ladies present and were nearly sitting on each other's lap in the tiny community room we had rented.  They elected me president that night. 

Those women and men (we have two male members) have become some of the most awesome friends I've ever had.  Our guild grew from those 35 charter members to 60 in three years.  It has been an honor and a privilege to be their president.

At the December meeting, I inducted Angie Peele as the new president.  Angie is wonderful person, full of great ideas, and is so organized.  She's participated in the Guild's Round Robin with me and I can tell you from experience, she also quilts beautifully.  Her piecing is perfect. 

After that, I was going to sit down, but they weren't through with me yet.  The guild gave me this...




A little bit of background would help here.  Our guild's logo is the Friendship Star and its color is purple.  The purple thing is very convenient for me since one of my two favorite colors is purple (the other is pink).  So this purple Friendship Star quilt is just awesome. Lots of folks contributed to the construction of the quilt and Shelle Mancl and Linda Hudgins quilted it.




Judy Poteat did all the machine applique on the letters.

Another guild member, Liz Simmons, made me a wonderful bag to keep my quilt in until I can put a sleeve on it and hang it.

Linda then generously contributed more machine embroidery to the bag:
I was just so taken back at the moment, I couldn't talk.  I don't even remember what I said to thank all those wonderful guild members.  And I simply cannot believe that they did all of this right under my nose without me knowing a thing about it!  I can't believe that I never accidentally got an email, overheard a conversation, or saw "contraband" be passed right under my nose.  Nancy Blanchard said she handed off her block to Lisa Wagner when I was standing right beside of her.

I gotta be Captain Oblivious.

It wasn't until I got home and spread the quilt out that I realized something very important. 

The quilt was signed.

Every. Guild. Member. Signed. A. Block.


And that was when I cried.

These folks have no idea what they mean to me and how much I appreciate them. 

So next week when the guild meets, I have no agenda to write up, I don't have to be there early to set up, I don't have to make announcements. I don't even have to stay after to clean up if I don't want to.

I'm just a "regular" guild member.  No more Thursday evenings devoted to guild work.

It's going to be kind of nice.  I want to fully support our new president, who I know is going to do a fantastic job.  I will continue to handle the retreats and trips, but other than that, I've been given some space to find my new "niche" in the guild.

And that is kind of nice, too.

Love and Stitches,

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment