Saturday, September 13, 2014

Guild Meeting

I work with a great group of women in the High Point Quilt Guild.  A great group of really, really talented women.  We always have a Show and Tell as part of the meeting and at each meeting, I'm just blown away by the magnitude of talent in the group.

This is one of Linda's show and tells.  She always has at least two.  I swear the woman doesn't sleep!  She gets more done in a week than I do in a year.  This one was done on her embroidery machine.


 
 
And this is a block-of-the-month from Dragonfly Quilt Shop that Gail made...

Our speaker was Dr. Melatonia Young who talked about the Underground Railroad quilts.  She was a fascinating woman that had so much to tell about the history of those quilts.  Much has been debated on about those quilts:  Were they actually real?  Did the Underground Railroad even exist?  She answered so many of my questions.  I learned that there were actually two underground railroads -- one to Florida (it was a free state) and one to Canada. 

Several members of our guild had already made the Underground Railroad quilt sampler.  Barbara Brackman and Eleanor Burns both have quilt book with the patterns.

This was Linda's.  I believe she said this was the first quilt she  ever made, so it was constructed several years ago.

This was Theressa's.  I think this was the second quilt she ever made.

This was Lynn's.

All of them were beautiful (and an Underground Railroad Quilt is going on my to do list).  And by the end of the meeting, with Dr. Young's help, we could "read" what the blocks meant and follow their directions.

It was an awesome, awesome meeting!

Love and Stitches,

Sherri




No comments:

Post a Comment