Wednesday, April 16, 2014

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas?

I started a new quilt!

I know, I know...I need to finish up some of the ones already in progress.  But seriously, A Southern Album Quilt only has one more unquilted border and and the third one is over half-way done.  Dear Jane is just going to take more time.  I've only got one more row of the center blocks to do and then the wedges.  So we're looking at about another year on her.  At Piece with Time will be finished within a year and I've only got days to go on my Indian Summer.  So...yeah.  I started a new quilt!

The quilt is called Peppermint Place and it's a Christmas quilt that is just adorable.  It's a wall hanging that's embellished with embroidery, buttons, pre-printed signs and scenes.  It's a little challenging to piece and it's machine applique (which is still kind of new to me), but it's so cute I couldn't say no.  Here are the first two blocks:

Aren't they just too cute for words? I love the details that are in this quilt so far....


I know it may be a little hard to see in this block, but underneath the "snow" there is a thin layer of batting that makes the snow look puffy and stops the red fabric beneath from showing through.

And then here you have running stitches for the smoke coming out of the chimney.

This little guy has got a ton of details to be no bigger than he is.   A tiny, French knot for an eye and little paperclips for the blades in his skates!  Not to mention he's seven separate pieces before you put him together and applique him down.  The pattern calls for really, really small circles for the tops of hats, but I don't make little circles well.  If they are much smaller than a dime, I'm really all thumbs.  So I'm using little buttons in place of the little circles.

The devil may be in the details of most things, but the details make this quilt!

Next week I'll be in Paducah for the AQS Show, so no blog next week.  But the following week I will back with pictures and a run down of what went on.  I can't post pictures of the quilts that are in the show.  That's against AQS rules.  But AQS does post a few of them on their webpage and on their Facebook page.  Take advantage of that because the quilts there are truly breathtaking!

See you after Paducah!

Sherri


No comments:

Post a Comment