Thursday, May 29, 2014

New Things....

I'm still recovering from the shingles.  According to the doctor, it's going to take a while.  They've stopped breaking out but I'm still having trouble hearing out of my left ear and I'm staying exhausted.  I'm still downing anti-virals and antibiotics and some neurological meds to try to help restore all my hearing.

In the meantime, I have gotten a few things done.  I haven't completed a quilt or a top, but I'm getting stuff done slowly and surely.  I will be revealing the my Indian Summer top in a few weeks -- I'm appliqueing the final flowers on the border.  So here's what got done this week between naps and meds and trying to remember that I can't answer the phone and put it to my left ear....

I finished another block to my Hop-to-It.  I'm now half-way through with my applique blocks. I'm beginning to get just a little excited about this quilt again.  I've got my next block picked out and will start that next week.  I need to start on the sashing soon.  I think that after this next block I will have at least one -- maybe two -- rows I can put together.

I also finished Tulips and Ivy in At Piece with Time:

I am so glad that square is behind me.  There is another block with those set-in seams, but not for a while.

Let me ask you a question:  How are your setting triangles coming for your center medallion?  Let me encourage you to keep working on them.  And those triangles are neat -- every item in those triangles is in one of the blocks.  So be sure to echo the same colors in the blocks and in the triangles.  It will really help pull your quilt together.  This is what I got done on the triangles this week....three bunches of strawberries...
And this precious little bird's nest -- I loved making this!
We will use the strawberries again on the next block in this quilt.  I love this quilt so much!  The applique is very folk art and forgiving.  I just think it's terrific and has so much meaning.

Finally, there's this:
This quilt is 's-Gravenzande by Ted Storm (and yes, Ted is a she, not a he).  This quilt is hand-appliqued, hand-pieced, and hand-quilted.  This gorgeous quilt took Best of Show in Paducah.  My picture does not do it justice.  It is quite arguable one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen.  And it gets even more awesome when you consider it's all done by hand.  Look at it on the American Quilter Society's website.  The details in the quilting and applique are amazing and mind-boggling.

More pictures are coming....but I took hundreds and editing takes a little time.

Have a good rest of the week and a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment