Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mothers of the Bible Quilt

I mentioned in my March 27 blog that the quilting bee I belong to has started a new quilt for the year.  And since I'm "facilitating" this wonderful group of women, I'm in charge of directions...which normally isn't a challenge....except this time it is. See, the directions for this quilt are simply some line drawings with the instructions to "copy the drawing and 1/4 inch to each piece and sew together."  Which sounds simple...except it isn't. 

Some of the blocks go together easier if their paper pieced -- templates just don't work.  The pieces are too tiny to be accurate if you use templates.  And the paper piecing has to be carefully done for the same reason.  The pieces are too tiny.  The big adventure for me every month is to find out which method works the best (and easiest) for each block.  Some of the blocks I've been able to successfully convert to rotary cutting procedures, which makes me (and everyone else in my group) happy.  I'm afraid even the oldest members of this bee are now spoiled to rotary cutting. 

The upside is that a few of the blocks are all applique and the members of this group have quilted and pieced long enough that each one knows which applique method works best for them.  No instructions are needed for those blocks -- thank Heaven!

This quilt is really stretching my abilities as a teacher, facilitator, and writer.  I challenged -- something I really enjoy.  My quilt is jewel tones and will be set on point with black and turquoise sashing.  I've let my love of color run rampant with this one.

 Garden of Eden

 Sarah's Choice


 Wandering Foot

Welcome Hand
Double Cross

I'm working on Lover's Knot.  From this perspective, you can see just how small some of these pieces are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment